Spike William is our new kitten and he was born January 30th, 2013.

Monday, November 27, 2006

"Almost" Acorn Squash and Corn Stew



Since we ate so much for Thanksgiving week I wanted to make something a bit lighter. I had two acorn squashes that needed to be cooked so this is what I came up with to make for dinner.


Here is the recipe that I was inspired by -- with my changes in red!


Acorn Squash and Corn Stew
Inspired by The Border Cookbook

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (I used 2 medium onions)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 5 garlic cloves)
1 pound (about 2 1/2 cups) peeled, cubed acorn squash (I don't know how much my 2 squashes weighed but I did not peel nor cube them. I cooked them whole in the microwave for 8 minutes, after piercing them with a fork 4 times as suggested on the sticker which was on the squash.***)
1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 pound) green beans, sliced in 2-inch lengths (I used frozen french green beans "haricot verts" from Trader Joe's.)
1 cup corn kernals (fresh off the cob, or frozen)

2 small tomatoes (Italian plum tomatoes work well), diced
1 mild green chile, fresh or frozen, chopped (For both the chile and tomatoes I used one can of Red Gold Hot Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies)
1/2 cup vegetable stock (I used a ladle-full of my turkey stock from yesterday's turkey soup)
1 can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tablespoon wine vinegar
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

1. Warm the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes, until onion begins to soften.

2. Add squash, green beans, and chile and saute for another 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer mixture for 30 minutes, until squash and beans are very tender. Cut the ***cooked acorn squash in half and remove the seeds. Fill the center with the vegetable mixture and some shredded cheese. Serve warm.

Serves 6 more like 2 for a main dish

No comments: